*CLOSE GUANTÁNAMO WITH JUSTICE NOW*
DAY OF ACTION AGAINST TORTURE, EXTRA-LEGAL DETENTION
AT THE WHITE HOUSE AND JUSTICE DEPARTMENT,
TUESDAY, JANUARY 11
Anti-Torture activists to rally at the White House and march to the Justice Department as the prison at Guantánamo enters its 10th year; March to be led by 173 “detainees” wearing hoods and jumpsuits to represent the 173 men still held at Guantánamo.
The protest on the 11th will be followed by 10 days of fasting, lobbying,and demonstrating in Washington, D.C.
*Witness Against Torture* demands include:
- Close the prison at Guantánamo Bay;
- Free all prisoners who have been cleared for release, ensuring their safe resettlement and providing asylum in the U.S. for those unable to go elsewhere;
- Produce charges against all other prisoners and prosecute them in U.S. courts;
- Open all detention centers to outside scrutiny. That includes accepting the oversight of the International Committee of the Red Cross of all facilities; and
- Conduct a comprehensive criminal inquiry against all those who designed and carried out torture policies under the Bush administration.
Who: Witness Against Torture and co-sponsors
Event: Rally, “prisoner procession” to Department of Justice, and non-violent direct action
Date and Time: Tues, Jan. 11, beginning at 11am
Location: The White House, Washington, D.C.