Thursday, January 13, 2022

THE TWO QUESTIONS

 When I tell people that I represent a man who is still held at Guantanamo there are two questions that I get too often. 

Isn't Guantanamo closed, I thought Obama closed it? (sigh)

and, What could you still be litigating at this point?

The first question is easy to answer. NO- it is not closed- Obama lost interest and there were still 50 men left when Obama left office- As I recall, one of those who remains was literally ripped off the plane in the last days of the Obama administration because Obama blew a timing issue.

The second question has always been hard to explain to non-lawyers. 

But now Shane Kadidal (from Center for Constitutional Rights) who has worked on Guantanamo issues since the beginning answers the second question in a really understandable way. Thank you Shane.

Read Shane's piece here.

No comments: