Friday, February 24, 2023

The brothers are finally free

 


Since I started working on Guantanamo cases in 2005 (yes, almost 18 years ago) I have heard about the brothers.  The younger brother  (Mohammed Ahmed Ghulam Rabbani, 53) has long engaged in hunger strikes over the years to protest their detention of more than 20 years without charges ever being filed. Those hunger strikes have taken a toll.on him.  He also became an artist. The military has just lifted its ban on the men taking their art work with them so hopefully Ahmed was allowed to take his work with him.  We will know soon I am sure.

Not much is known about the older brother  Abdul Rahim Ghulam Rabbani, 55 who is quiet and pretty much kept to himself.

Carol Rosenberg at the New York Times has more here. (sorry there is a paywall).

Math has never been my forte but I think the count is somewhere around 32- 18 are cleared for release including my client Algerian Saeed Bakhouch. 

No comments: