Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Executive Order.... and what it might mean

Click on the title to read the executive order. I don't believe Obama has signed it yet but there it is.
The most important part of this order is that the President is ordering that the men be treated humanely until such time as a complete review of their situation can be undertaken and it can be figured out whether or not they should be released or moved to the US for trial. I expect this will mean the immediate closing of camp's 5 and 6.
I have reason to hope that Mr. Al-Ghizzawi has been moved out of camp 6 already. Unfortunately his letter to me has been classified and I cannot read it without going to DC. I will explain more about this latest fiasco after I finish fighting my way up the new chain of command.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all your outspoken work on and insight into this issue. We hope you'll check out the press release we issued shortly after President Obama issued the three executive orders, welcoming his decisions: http://rac.org/Articles/index.cfm?id=3186&pge_prg_id=10987

-The Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism

Anonymous said...

It is so smart on so many levels that Obama is closing down Guantanamo. It has been a long time coming.

Anonymous said...

When is Obomber going to issue an order that the kangaroo courts stop interfering with lawyers' right to communicate with their clients?
Just wondering...

H. Candace Gorman said...

I expect that issue will be taken care of in time... meanwhile we will fight that problem too.